Monday, September 2, 2013

September Goals {Jacque}

Couch to 14er

I made this plan, this commitment that I was going to summit a fourteener next summer. The next day I immediately set out to start hiking. (I was motivated and determined.) But, as usual? My steam burned off quickly. So I've decided that I need to break my goals down smaller.

Hiking in ColoradoFor September, I have set the goal for myself to take 8 hikes.
That doesn't sound like much - but that doesn't include daily walking around town or on short hiking trails near my house. Those 8 hikes have to be planned out and a step up from my normal activity level.  (Bonus points if I get a sitter for the kidlet and do some serious hiking!)

I'm quickly realizing that I may have bitten off more than I can chew, that I'm home alone 320 days a year with a homeschooled 5 year old. I have to take her with me. No grandparents to drop her off with. No husband coming home at 5pm so I can go hike, or on Saturdays. Just me and her. This training is going to be harder than I thought!

Hike Pikes Peak via Barr Trail
I've read that the most difficult part (once you're in fairly decent shape) is the fact that you're on your feet so much. 15.5 hours for the EASY hike is a long ways to hike, when you spend - at most - a few hours on your feet on a normal day.

My second goal for September is to come up with a training plan. I need something tangible, that I can follow for the next 11 months. For this, I need to do a lot of reading, a lot of planning! This overweight mama is going to get in shape and climb a mountain!!

No comments:

Post a Comment